About Us > Architectural History

The John T. Bellamy House is a North Carolina Bed and Breakfast located at 613 Glenview Road (Route 481) in Enfield, Halifax County, North Carolina.  The house built in approximately 1873 originally stood on 20-30 acres.  It currently sits on 4 acres of well-planted and scenic property including a Catawba grape arbor and numerous original boxwoods.  The property lies ideally situated at the western side of town where the Ringwood Road meets the Enfield town vicinity.  It lies approximately 4 miles east of Interstate 95 and is an easy on/off access point of interest and, though set back, has good visibility from the road.  The landscaped estate includes a semi-circular drive in front of the house, and a lane leading from the drive to the rear of the estate.  Mature oaks and magnolias dot the lawn to the west and east of the house.  A plot of small boxwoods, lined up in rows, is located northeast of the house.  Along the property line to the south of the house are a series of outbuildings: a garage, a front-gabled, three-bay, frame building sheathed with board and batten dating to ca. 1870, a side-gable frame weatherboarded frame building, and a ca. 1940 shed-roof frame chicken coop.

A one-story frame kitchen building was moved approximately 50 feet to the south from its original location at the rear of the house and stands on a brick foundation. The kitchen building retains its large cooking fireplace.  A small one-story addition was constructed onto the gable end of the kitchen building when it was moved.

The main house is comprised of a ca. 1873, two-story, hip-roof, double-pile, central-passage frame main block, a one-story frame wing original to the building on the south elevation, a one-story frame wing original to the building on the north elevation that was raised ca. 1950 to two stories, and a ca. 1900 one-story frame addition on the north elevation of the original wing.  The building stands on a brick foundation and has a sealed-seam metal roof.

A colossal portico with Doric-style posts adorns the front elevation.

The house retains all its original windows and doors, and its original door and window surrounds.  On the exterior, the entrances to the main block are pedimented, as are the first-floor windows.  Transoms and sidelights surround the front and back entrances, which lead into the central passage.

The wide central passage features a stair with turned walnut balusters and turned newel post.  The house retains all of its interior doors, window and door surrounds, and floors.  Window and door surrounds are battered, on both the first and second floors.  Original panels are found beneath windows on both floors.  Original mantels are found in the parlors on the north side of the house: a Gothic Revival-style mantel in the southwest parlor and a classical-revival style mantel in the southeast parlor.  The original plan of the house featured back-to-back parlors on the first floor with a shared interior chimney.

The Dr. John T. Bellamy House, constructed ca. 1873, is a well-preserved classically-inspired house that features elements of the Gothic Revival, Italianate, and late Greek Revival styles  The house stands in Enfield, Halifax County’s oldest town, settled in the 1730s.

For more information About Us, please select from the menu options on the lower left.

Comments are closed.